Vista Assignment Responsibilities
AmeriCorps VISTA members work full time at the Florida Literacy Coalition (FLC) or with one of our partner literacy agencies to help coordinate initiatives and support programs which help adults and families to develop their reading, writing, and English language skills. During their service, VISTA members receive a modest living allowance, health care, and other benefits. Upon completing one year of service they can choose to receive either a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 or a post-service stipend of $1,500.
AmeriCorps VISTA members are committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Our VISTA members coordinate projects using volunteers and community partners to empower adults and families to develop core skills and reach their personal potential. FLC’s partner agencies select from a number of project areas that enable them to address a particular program or community need. VISTA project focus areas include the following:
- Building capacity for literacy programs (includes developing training, recruiting volunteers, and fundraising for the organization)
- Job Readiness (includes ESL, Adult Ed, GED, Family Literacy, Career Pathways, and Corrections Education)
- Financial literacy
- Health literacy
Examples of projects that past VISTA members have completed include:
- Fundraising to create a computer lab.
- Developing a library for a family literacy program.
- Becoming a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site.
- Building and coordinating an on-line tutor training course.
- Partnering with banks to offer students financial literacy classes and $100 savings accounts.
- Coordinating a fundraiser for a new literacy program.
- Establishing a career mentoring program for juveniles in corrections.
- Coordinating field trips to museums and health care facilities.
Please contact Annie Schmidt (email@example.com) or partner agencies to find out more about the projects and the responsibilities of the advertised VISTA positions.